our advertiser policy for further details about our partners, and thanks for your support!
Citi has just launched the Citi Custom Cash℠ Card, which is a fantastic no annual fee card that can earn you up 5x ThankYou points. You can redeem that for travel rewards or for 5% cash back, depending on your redemption preferences. For those who have been frustrated by the lack of cards in the Citi ThankYou ecosystem, this card is a reason to be excited.
Citi Custom Cash offers 5x ThankYou points (or 5% cash back)
The Citi Custom Cash Card offers:
- 5x ThankYou points (or 5% cash back) on your top eligible spending category, on up to $500 spent each billing cycle
- 1x ThankYou points (or 1% cash back) on all other purchases
Eligible spending categories include the following:
- Fitness clubs
- Gas stations
- Grocery stores
- Home improvement stores
- Live entertainment
- Select streaming services
- Select transit
- Select travel
Note that your top category can change each billing cycle. You’ll automatically receive the 5x points (or 5% cash back) on whatever your highest spending category is.
These rewards can be transferred to the Citi ThankYou travel partners as long as you have either the Citi Premier or Citi Prestige.
Citi Custom Cash offers 20,000 ThankYou points (or $200)
The Citi Custom Cash Card offers a fantastic bonus for a personal no annual fee card. The card is offering 20,000 ThankYou points (or $200 cash back) after spending $750 on purchases in the first three months.
Eligibility for the bonus is unrelated to whether or not you have any other Citi cards — the bonus isn’t available to anyone who has received a new cardmember bonus on the Citi Custom Cash Card in the past 48 months (which should be almost no one, since the card just launched).
The typical Citi credit card application restrictions apply.
How the Citi Custom Cash fits into the Citi ThankYou ecosystem
Historically one of the downsides of Citi ThankYou compared to Chase Ultimate Rewards has been that you couldn’t create as much of a portfolio of cards to maximize your rewards. The new Citi Custom Cash Card offers significant value in that sense.
You could use the Citi Custom Cash to complement any of the below cards (which can all potentially earn Citi ThankYou points):
When you throw in the ability to also earn 5x points in a category of you choice, the value proposition of this card is looking great.
This card is a no-brainer if you earn Citi ThankYou points
If you’re someone who has cards earning Citi ThankYou points, then it totally makes sense to pick up the Citi Custom Cash Card:
- The card has a solid bonus, particularly given that it has no annual fee, and you’re eligible even if you’ve received the bonus on other Citi cards
- Being able to earn 5x ThankYou points per dollar in the select category where you spend the most (with a $500 limit per billing cycle) all for a no annual fee card is a great opportunity
- As you can see, you have your choice of several bonus categories, from more niche categories like drugstores and home improvement stores and fitness, to more mainstream categories like dining and gas stations
The Citi Custom Cash Card is a fantastic new no annual fee card that is worth picking up for anyone earning Citi ThankYou points. The card offers 5x points (or 5% cash back) in your top select category every billing cycle, for up to $500 of spending. While that cap is fairly low, those bonuses could really add up.
You can even earn a great bonus with the card, which is all the more reason to get it.
What do you make of the Citi Custom Cash Card, and do you plan on applying?